Learning more than one language at once?

Discussion not language-related, such as general Thailand news, resources, and other off-topic things.
farang84

Re: Learning more than one language at once?

Post by farang84 »

There comes a point, though, when it is nigh impossible to use new words. There are only so many words per day that are going to get used. In fact, this is probably the first time in over a month I've used the word "exhilirating."
PatrickK
-

Post by PatrickK »

Certainly. But there have been many times where I learned a word, didn't use it for like a month so I didn't know it so well, but then saw it written somewhere and recognized it right away, especially using the context that it was written in.

But like you said, I do agree it is better to build up a stable foundation slowly rather than scale fast and then collapse and forget most things.
ReubenA

Post by ReubenA »

Since starting this thread I started learning a bit of Mandarin and stopped, deciding to pick it up again later. I feel like I'd have to way slow down my Thai study if I were to take up another language.

My plan is essentially get my vocabulary to a strong level in Thai, and then pick another language and build vocab in that while working on other skills in Thai.